Accounting and the Public Trust
Submission deadline: January 17, 2018
The CAAA invites original papers for the 2018 Annual Conference on all areas of research including financial and management accounting, financial reporting and communication, assurance, tax, accounting history, and public sector accounting.
Submissions are accepted in French and English.
Canada is at a crossroads: our trust in financial industry analysts and CEO credibility is at all-time low yet, globally, Canadian companies still ranked highest in global trust (2017 Edelman Trust Barometer – Q130-747 & Q26-Q422).
The 2018 CAAA conference focuses on the positive role that accounting academics and professionals play as stewards of public trust – a role that is fundamental to the health and sustainability of our capital markets – while challenging us to courageously find ways to lead in the rebuilding of trust in and through our profession.
Click here to download the call for papers
At least one author of the submitted paper must be a member of the CAAA.
An author may submit a maximum of five papers and will be allowed a maximum of two presentations.
- Submissions must include a synopsis of not more than 150 words, which will appear in the conference program. Authors may also include up to three additional descriptive keywords. A fuller abstract detailing the research question, method, main findings, and contribution of the study may be included as part of the manuscript submission.
- Author identification should appear on the cover page only. The paper’s title should appear on the synopsis, the abstract page, and the first page of the body of the paper. Please submit electronic versions of both the full text of the paper including the cover page (SSRN refers to this as the “file”), and a “blind file” (the full text without the cover page or any other author identification).
- All papers will be considered for presentation in parallel sessions. Authors may indicate during the submission process if they would like their papers to be considered for the research interaction forum (poster sessions).
- Authors will be asked to indicate if they wish their paper to be considered for the Lazaridis Institute Prize. Click here for information on the Lazaridis Institute prize.
The deadline for submissions is January 17, 2018.
The Scientific Committee’s decisions regarding accepted papers will be sent to authors by March 7, 2018.
By submitting a paper for consideration for the CAAA Conference, you are agreeing that if it is accepted:
• You or a co-author will attend the conference to present the paper.
• You or a co-author will review at least two other papers.
• You or a co-author will be a discussant for another paper.
Papers must be the authors’ original work and not be previously published or in press.
All papers submitted to the conference will:
• Be subject to a plagiarism check
• Receive a double-blind review by members of the 2017 Scientific Committee.
• Be assigned a discussant for the presentation session
All delegates who have fully completed and paid for their conference registration prior to May 4, 2018, will have their names included in the printed conference program.
The CAAA is pleased to partner with the Lazaridis Institute to offer a new Best Paper award starting in 2018.
The Prize (plaque and $2,000) will be awarded to the paper that, in the interpretation of the Prize Committee, best addresses issues relevant to technology companies in an accounting context, with topics including but not limited to:
- Firm growth
- Firm decision making
- Firms in transition, including the impact of venture capital, IPO and M&A activities;
- Innovation, including the use of automation in auditing or accounting;
- Financial reporting.
Authors are asked to “self-identify” submitted papers during the submission process to be considered for the prize.
Conference registration will open in March 2018.
Calgary's friendly spirit, coupled with the city's vibrant urban ambience makes for a metropolis of wonderful contrasts. We invite you to Canada's most dynamic city and Calgary's premier hotel. Centrally located in downtown Calgary, the Fairmont Palliser is within walking distance to the city's most exciting retail shopping, arts, culture and entertainment venues.
We look forward to welcoming you to Calgary!
Mark Anderson & Raj Mashruwala, CAAA 2018 Annual Conference Co-Chairs