The Award was established in 2007 to honour the memory of Dr. George Baxter who passed away in 2002 after a lifetime of service to the accounting profession, research and education. One award will be made each year at the CAAA Annual Conference, subject to there being a worthy nomination.
Purpose of the Award
The George Baxter Award is intended to recognize exemplary contributions to the Canadian Academic Accounting Association through participation on the Board of Directors or through various committee and task force work that illustrates a dedication to helping CAAA accomplish its mission.
Any informed person or group, especially alumni, colleagues, departmental committees and provincial or national societies may submit nominations.
Current members of the Executive Committee of the CAAA Board and the George Baxter Award Committee are ineligible to receive this award during their tenure and the following three years.
All nominations submitted for the first time, which do not receive the Award, will be brought forward and reconsidered the following year. In each case the nominator will be contacted to ensure that they are in agreement with this.
The nomination package must include
- a curriculum vitae for the nominee;
- supporting letters from people familiar with the nominee’s CAAA contribution;
- and a brief statement describing how the nominee meets the general award criteria of providing exemplary contributions to the CAAA over a sustained period of time.
The chairperson and the two other members of the Award Committee will solicit and receive all nominations made for the George Baxter Outstanding Contribution to the CAAA Award in the current and past year. It will review the nominations and accompanying materials which have been received, and will also undertake to obtain whatever additional information it may require in order to reach a decision.
Exemplary contributions to the CAAA over a sustained period of time through:
- Membership on the Board of Directors
- Membership on CAAA Committees
- Membership on CAAA Task Forces
- Editorship of CAAA journals
- Participation at annual CAAA conferences
- Representation of CAAA on other committees (i.e. AcSOC)
- Other demonstrated support for the activities of the CAAA
The Award recipient must be a member in good standing of the CAAA.
Submit nominations no later than February 15, 2019.
- 2019: Alan J. Richardson
- 2018: No Nomination
- 2017: Daniel Coulombe
- 2016: Anne Fortin
- 2015: Réal Labelle
- 2014: Irene M. Gordon
- 2013: No Nominations were submitted for this year.
- 2012: No nominations were submitted for this year.
- 2011: Leonard J. Brooks
- 2010: Alister Mason
- 2009: J. Efrim Boritz
- 2008: Michael Gibbins
Submit nominations no later than February 15, 2020.
Submit a Nomination
The CAAA Nominating Committee will identify the Chair, who will select the two members of the George Baxter Award Committee, annually. The makeup of the Committee should reflect geographic diversity to the extent possible.
George Baxter Award Committee for 2019–2020
- Merridee Bujaki, Carleton University, Chair
- Lilian Chan, McMaster University
- Hussein Warsame, University of Calgary